UPDATED 12.01.2021

We appreciate that the changed operating model for LUU is difficult for staff and we have created this page to provide guidance for you.

If you have a question that isn't answered here, feel free to email the People Team on unihr@leeds.ac.uk.

Now that we are back in a national lockdown situation, what does this mean for staff?

Some essential areas of the LUU building remain open such as the Co-op. Staff who continue to work in the building are currently asked to follow Covid secure measures and take a Covid test once per week. Details of how to book a test can be found below. Other staff will either continue to work from home , be placed on flexi-furlough or full furlough. Any furlough arrangements will be communicated to you by either your manager or the People Team.

How do I book a Covid test if I am working in the building?

There is a new requirement for onsite staff to have access to regular Covid testing. Testing facilities are fully available to you and are located in our building with the testing operation taking place in the Refectory. You can book a test online at Book a Test Link for which you will need an @leeds email address. If you do not have one, your Team Leader will be able to support you in obtaining one and be able to guide you through this process.

Testing takes approximately 15-20 minutes and should be scheduled once a week. The time taken for the test and result is part of your paid shift. You will need to inform your Team Leader by telephone if you test positive and your Team Leader will inform the People Team through our established processes. You must not attend work if you test positive. Staff who receive a negative result can continue to work as normal.

At present staff will need to be tested once per week, however the frequency of this will be reviewed. If you are unsure of your managers contact telephone number call 0113 3801 363 or 0113 3801 362.

My child is off school or nursery, how will LUU support me?

This falls within LUU’s usual dependent leave scheme in which up to 5 days are available to make alternative care arrangements in an emergency. We have extended this for the current time to allow staff up to 10 days of dependent leave and removed the requirement for this to be taken in blocks of 1 or 2 days.

I need to care for a sick relative, can I take leave?

If you require time off to provide emergency care for a dependent then the same rules as those for carers of children also apply. We have extended this for the current time to allow staff up to 10 days of dependent leave and removed the requirement for this to be taken in blocks of 1 or 2 days. Please speak to your manager if you wish to take any dependents leave to do this.

Should I come in to work?

In relation to Covid-19 you should not come into work for the following reasons;

  1. You have the symptoms of a high temperature and a new continuous cough and/or loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste and smell.

  2. You have received a positive test for Covid

  3. You live with someone who has the above symptoms, or has received a positive test for Covid.

  4. You can evidence that you have been asked to self isolate by the Track and Trace process.

If you do not, or any of your household do not, have symptoms of covid and have not been told to self isolate through the Track and Trace process you should come to work.

Should a staff member have to self isolate for any of the above reasons, and you have been at work at the same time as that member of staff, you do not need to self isolate unless one of the reasons above are applicable to you.

Once you have received a negative test result you should come back to work. If you receive a positive result for Covid current guidance is to self isolate for 10 days. After 10 days if you still have a temperature you should continue to self-isolate and seek medical advice.

If you live with someone who has symptoms of covid you should also seek a test and self isolate either for 14 days or until you and your housemate receive a negative test result whichever is sooner. If your housemate received a positive test result, and your result is negative, you still need to self isolate for the duration.

If you are staying at home in accordance with government advice or advice from the NHS test and trace service, you are entitled to statutory sick pay (SSP), even if you are not ill.

People who are required to self-isolate after travelling abroad are not entitled to SSP, unless they are ill. Please see further information on this under the holidays section.

If I catch the coronavirus, will I get sick pay?

Yes, all staff will receive sick pay if they are off work due to coronavirus. You must inform your manager of your absence in line with normal reporting procedures. In a change to our usual rules we have removed the 3 month qualifying period for sick pay.

How should I notify my manager of my absence?

You should follow the standard reporting procedure to inform your manager of any sickness absence. This is outlined below:

Telephone your line manager to inform them of your absence as soon as possible before your shift is due to start and no later than half an hour after you would normally have started work. You should call in person unless you are unable to do so. If your Line Manager is not available you should leave a message with the People Team on 0113 3801 364. You should tell us the nature of your illness and how long you expect to be absent for.

If you do not have a telephone number for your manager contact the People Team on 0113 3801 364 who can obtain a telephone number for you.

Will I need to provide a fit note if I am off sick with coronavirus?

If you are off sick with coronavirus,you should follow the following link to certify your absence


If you are off with any other type of absence, any absences over 7 days will require a doctor's note.

What should I do if I think I have the coronavirus?

Please follow this link to identify what you should do.


Will I have a return to work meeting/chat after being off sick?

Yes, your manager will arrange to do this over the phone or video call.

If I am on the high risk list, what will this be recorded as on my records for the next 12 weeks and what will I get paid?

We have agreed to pay full pay to anyone who is self isolating due to being on the high risk list. This is currently being classed as sickness absence.

What happens if I don’t report my absence to my manager?

If you do not follow our normal absence reporting process you will be classed as being absent without authorised leave. You may not end up being paid if your absence is unauthorised.

What happens if I am currently overseas?

We are aware some staff are in different countries at present. If you have been set up to work from abroad by your manager, you will continue to do so. If you were expecting to return to work at a later date we will contact you about the arrangements for this nearer the time.

What happens if I run out of work to do from home?

Speak to your manager about any concerns you may have. Please don’t worry about this, we are working with managers to ensure everyone has sufficient work to do. Please also consider this a time when you can also invest in your learning as well as undertaking work which would normally be directed by your manager.

How will I receive communications from LUU about what is happening?

Email will be the primary source of communication. Staff are asked to check this regularly. If you change your email address or home address, please ensure you update this on your iTrent self-service account.

When should I come back to the LUU building?

Your manager will inform you of when you should return. Staff should stay off campus until then.

Can I carry over my holidays?

All holidays will be carried over from 2020 to 2021 only, with no limit to how many are carried over. This holiday will need to be used by the end of the 2021 holiday year (either July or December depending on the holiday scheme). Any holiday not used by the end of the 2021 holiday year will be lost.

For those that have returned to work we ask that any pre-booked holidays are honoured. They can be moved to an alternative date or reduced to a minimum of one week in length.

Those on furlough can continue to “book” holiday by informing the people team and they will be added to the system and then paid at 100% through payroll. Any pre-booked holiday for those on furlough can either be cancelled or paid - in either scenario you will need to confirm this with unihr@leeds.ac.uk

What are the expectations around overseas travel?

If you chose to travel overseas from 01 August 2020 and you are required to quarantine on return or quarantine while overseas, even if quarantine rules were not in place at the time of your outbound journey:

LUU expects your contractual obligations relating to work to be met;

If it was anticipated that you would be working from home for the whole of the relevant quarantine period, then that will be supported;

If you were expected to be working in the building for all or part of the relevant quarantine period, we may be able to allocate work to you that can be delivered from home and we expect you to be flexible in your approach to work. If remote working cannot be arranged, we will look to one of the following options

o You will be placed on furlough for a period of time to be agreed with your manager

o You will take annual leave (from either the current or next year’s entitlement)

o You will take unpaid leave (but only if your current year leave entitlement is exhausted);

If you become ill during the quarantine period, you will be eligible for sick pay according to normal rules;