Digital Services (Prev. IT)
Our LUU IT function has been recently restructured into 'Digital Services':
- Devices & Infrastructure Team - Managed by Jason (Turner), this team supports all desktop/laptop computing, networking and printers.
- Platforms Team - This team will support all 'system owners' - we are currently hiring for the manager position.
We will be updating this page with further information in the future but as before, if you have any issues with your computer or systems access, please raise a ticket on the online helpdesk:
Use of the Internet and Email
Many employees in LUU have access to a computer with internet and email facilities. All employees who have this facility are free to use the internet and email for business use.
Given our internet access, networking, and network user control is provided by University of Leeds, as an employee of Leeds University Union you are obliged to abide by the university's 'Use of Computer Systems Policy' which can be found on their IT Knowledge Base (Guidance and PDF download of full policy).
In addition, the 'Security Incident and Computer Misuse policy' includes what will be considered unacceptable use, prompting investigation:
- Don’t share passwords
- You are obliged to observe all guidance as to acceptable use
- Reasonable personal use of email and internet by staff is allowed at the discretion of LUU senior management, but excessive use may be investigated.
- No liability is accepted for direct or consequential losses or loss of data or delays associated with the use of LUU and University of Leeds computing systems
- The University of Leeds’ Use of Computer Systems Policy guidance contains a note: ‘Users must obtain formal permission before using University computer resources for any work which is funded by any person or organisation outside the University or on any consultancy basis. (3.4)’. As a separate but linked organisation, LUU provides devices and hardware to staff for the purpose of fulfilling their roles which may include work funded by its external partnerships. This guidance will only apply if the work generates significant network/internet traffic; if you believe this is the case, then please liaise with Jasper Hegarty-Ditton, LUU’s Director of Digital and Communications, who will seek the necessary permissions from the university.
- Access to Google services is managed by LUU Digital Services and the same acceptable use guidance applies.
- Staff at LUU have remote access via the internet to personnel and shared storage, therefore there is no need for data such as staff/members details or any private/sensitive data to be copied onto removable media.
- If a staff member requires this data to fulfil their role at a remote location that has no internet connection, permission must be sought from their line manager and IT Support to minimise the possibility of this data being lost.